It's been a bit tricky finding a place to stay in Auckland, but Sheri insisted. I guess she doesn't see the adventure in stumbling off an airplane after 30+ hours of transit with a pair of preschoolers and having no idea where we'll lay their little heads (or at least contain their sleep-deprived, maximum-volume expressions of unhappiness). I suppose I can see her point...Unfortunately, strange as it may seem, our kiwi friends haven't exactly been falling over themselves to have people from the opposite side of the planet come and live in their humble huts. Even becoming a member of their preferred rental/classifieds website is forbidden to non-island aliens. Thankfully, our friends we haven't met yet in Auckland were able to hook us up with some contact information and, would you believe it, we found a place that was looking for people just like us! I'm serious... they wanted an overseas couple, with kids, that were coming for a year or more to stay in their home (as Homer would say: Guys like me! I'm a guy like me!). We asked if they would leave their furniture and we're getting a house full of everything we need. Including, ... wait for it... , a crib and high chair for Everett!! (You may not believe in God, but I really have to say thanks to Him at this point. He is ever able to do do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think.) Since a crib might not be enough to attract visitors (there is a queen bed awaiting all who are willing to hop the pacific puddle), you should know that the house also comes with a juicer! (I've never had one, but it sounds like delicious good fun! Fresh squeezed kiwi juice, anyone?) Ooh... and a sauna! Now we're cooking... and you can be too!
So, here's the score:
University Acceptance - Check
Tuition Paid - Check
Corkery House Rented and Looked After - Check
Auckland Residence Secured - Check
Travel Visas - Ummm....
All we know at this point is that our visa applications will be reviewed this week. Hopefully that review will be favorable and we'll be able to check that off and get our flights booked. We're trusting that whatever happens, we'll arrive when we should.
In the meantime, my professor has sent me some reading material, so I guess I should start trying to shake the rust off of my brain.
Amazing. The place was waiting for you guys :).
ReplyDeleteGreat read, Readers! Can't wait to read these updates--so fun to watch it all come together xo
ReplyDelete